First Year "PP" Council
First Year Council is a group of elected first year students. They represent all first year UBC Engineers to EUS Council, run events, and are similar to a department club’s council. Many EUS Executives start out as PP Councillors – it’s a great way to get involved in the UBC Engineering community.
First Year Council elections are held in September – if you’re interested in running, we encourage you to contact the previous First Year Council! And don’t worry if you aren’t elected – meetings are always open, and there are other ways to get involved with the EUS, like our volunteer positions!
If you’re interested, and want to know more, you can contact the FYC President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Legend of the PPs
Why are First Years sometimes called PPs? Originally, in ages past, PPs were called ZZs. This was so that they were alphabetically last at tEUSday meetings, which once were a weekly public meetings held in the old Cheeze Factory (nowadays, they’re online at ubcengineers.ca/tEUSdaymeeting). However, tEUSday meetings were democratic, and so one day enough ZZs rallied together and passed a motion to rename themselves AAs. Dissatisfied, the upper years band- ed together to pass a motion declaring that tEUSday meetings would be held in reverse alphabetical order. This carried on back and forth, until it was decided that the first years could be called whatever they want Somehow, this ended in the name PP, which stuck.
- The President leads First Year council – they are the official spokesperson of all first years, they sit on EUS Council and the AMS First Year Committee, and they supervise the First Year Councillors.
- VICE PRESIDENT
- The Vice President supports the president, and takes on special projects. They are responsible for submitting tEUSday meeting updates, coordinating the First Year E-WEEK team, and making sure the First Year Chariot and Ball Model are up to scratch!
- The Secretary is responsible for internal affairs – means room bookings for meetings, taking and submitting First Year Council minutes, and keeping First Year policy up-to-date.
- The Academic Rep works alongside the EUS VP Academic to improve the academic experience of the First Year class. They represent the class alongside with the President at academic meetings like Grand Council.
- PUBLICITY REPRESENTATIVE
- SOCIAL COORDINATOR
- The Social Coordinator is – as you could probably guess – responsible for social events! They strive to enhance student life and the social environment for the First Year Class. They sit on the EUS events committee, and meet with the social/events coordinators of Department & Ex-O clubs.
- SPORTS AND CHARITY REP
- There can be up to two Sports & Charity Reps. They oversee sports and charity events and services, from coordinating First Year UBC REC teams to coordinating First Year involvement in EUS charity events like Blood Drives or Pi Week.
- The Treasurer is responsible for the money! This means recording all expenditures by First Year Council, maintaining the First Year Council budget, copying and submitting receipts to the EUS VP Finance, and keeping First Year council up to date with it’s financial status.
- VANTAGE REP x 2
- Serves as the voice of the Vantage College engineering students. One of the Vantage Reps is general, and the other is focused on academic advocacy.